hatstuck snarl

theoretically, a hairstyling salon

20051020

Our new blog reminds me of this Mina Loy passage from her novel Insel:

The still life that intrigued him was a pattern of a "detail" to be strewn about the surface of the clear lamp shades. Through equidistant holes punched in a crystalline square, I had carefully urged in extension, a still, celluloid coil of the color that Schiaparelli had since called shocking pink. . . I had picked it up in the Bon Marche.

Out of this harmless even pretty object an ignorant bully had constructed for me, according to his own conceptions, a libido threatened with some viciousness impossible to construe.

I was astounded.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It also reminds me of this new TV commercial for (about) breast cancer (awareness). Lots of pictures of pink things we like to think about, with a voiceover talking about how close we are to curing that thing we don't like to think about when we think about pink. Cut to a pink ribbon. Fade to black. No mention of breast cancer in the whole thing.

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Stephen said…

    We'll have to make new links in all our spare time.

     
  • At 5:15 AM, Blogger Stephen said…

    That Mina Loy really had a thing for lampshades!

    an ignorant bully had constructed for me, according to his own conceptions, a libido threatened with some viciousness impossible to construe.

    I was astounded.

    Quite the Philistine, that lampshade pecker!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home