hatstuck snarl

theoretically, a hairstyling salon

20030826

I picked up from Western Carolina University's library Anselm Hollo's Heavy Jars published by Toothpaste Press in 1977. It appears to be brand new, and I suspect that nobody has ever checked it out. It's in perfect condition with the exception of the library marks on the table of contents page, and ink stamp, "HUNTER LIBRARY WESTERN CAROLINA UNIVERSITY," as well as penciled in Library of Congress numbers. So too, it is rebound in plain brown cardboard though inside still retains the original cover. Anyway, mine is the first due date ever stamped, Sept. 1 '03. This happens a lot to me with books of poetry. I consider my library finds special, but I am often only the first or third person to do so in 20 years.

here follows a poem I especially like in this book:

in a tin can mirror

"she was a love child
he, a premeditated one

"theirs was a splendid house
color & form & sound
munificently swirling
whirling & twining
within & around, above & below
the flora & fauna of their lives"

well said, but not
what i wanted to say

the music is playing
the dog is sleeping
i am thinking
of one gone upstairs
& why i'm not there

because i am a stupid old fuckup, that's why

& there's this herd of cows
keeps mooing fiercely in my head

& that's a lie
& you know it

moo, moo, moo

"the hind end of a cow
not all that attractive to us
is bliss to her boyfriends"

same old jungle

same old machete

certainly, always, talking

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home